Friday, November 16, 2012

Quilted Thank You for "You're Wonderful"

photo of: Fine Motor Leads to Fine Arts, Part 36 via RainbowsWithinReach

It's FRIDAY!!! Ya got it! FINE MOTOR FRIDAY. 
Fine Motor Leads to Fine Arts. 
Welcome or WELCOME BACK!
This is part 36 of an ongoing weekly series.


photo of: Quilted Thank You for Author Visit via RainbowsWithinReach
Kindergarten Response to Picture Book, "You're Wonderful" (with Quilted Illustrations) 

Take a look at what just arrived  at my house!
It's a thank you quilt -- full of both: fine motor + fine art!
Here's a close-up of some kindergarten expression of thanks. 

photo of: Quilt Thank You Writing for Author Visit via RainbowsWithinReach

I'm so fortunate to get to do so many things that bring me joy. Making visits to schools and sharing my work with school children is at the height of my list of "pinch-me-this-is-too-good-to-be-true."  

If you're new around here, I'm a "music-lady" and have written oodles of songs for children. Then I started turning my ditties into picture book format. Now I get to go where I get invited and share the whole adventure with classrooms and teachers. My illustrations are made from fabric into small, graphic quilts. Receiving a 'thank you quilt' is at the top of my list of gratitude.


photo of: "Tall Giraffe" Drawing on Thank You Quilt via RainbowsWIthinReach

This labor of love is from the children of Blue Heron Elementary in Colorado. The kindergartners have responded to my time in their midst by sharing a glimpse of their favorite aspect of our visit. The child above is a big fan of "Tall Giraffe" my second book. 

The more I looked at the quilt square writings, the more amazed I got over the details that the students included. 


photo of: Kindergarten Drawings of Author-Illustrator Visit from RainbowsWIthinReach

Yup. That's me immortalized in my giraffe 'costume. 

photo of: "Tall Giraffe" Drawing of Author Debbie Clement

By not just one artist-in-the-making, but two! 

photo of: "Tall Giraffe" Drawing of Author Debbie Clement

The picture below is representative of the appreciation of my newest picture book, "Red, White and Blue." 


photo of: "Red, White and Blue" Flag Drawing from Kinder-fan via RainbowsWithinReach

To see their impressions brought together in one quilt is an amazing act of generosity and support. It's brilliant to bring together the acts of reflection, writing and drawing into one project. Yeah brilliant teacher!


photo of: Author Illustrator School Visit: Comparing Illustration to Picture Book with Debbie Clement
Author-Illustrator School Visit to Kindergarten in Colorado

I just received the following picture in an email from one of my favorite kinder-teachers. I'm so grateful for learning about PBL and how it relates to my work. Read her thoughts below.


photo of: Kindergarten Children Performing: "Red, White and Blue" by Debbie Clement
Hillidard, OH Kindergarten Students Perform "Red, White and Blue" in Sign Language  as part of Project Based Learning Approach

Hi Debbie!
We are doing PBL (Project Based Learning) our first one was with our social studies standard of learning about our country's symbols - the flag, the pledge, and the National Anthem. One of the components of PBL is making it authentic and having a real audience or speaker. We decided to coincide ours with Veteran's Day and culminate it with a performance honoring our Veterans. Attached is a picture of my a.m. class singing and signing your "Red, White and Blue". There wasn't a dry eye in the room! It was a big hit. We taped it and I hope to have it on DVD so we can show you when you come.

OK. One more highlight of the week. Here's one more piece of writing that I received in my email this week. This is from the pencil of a second grader in Tennessee whose class is using my book in a 'shared reading' format, which is something else I need to grasp. Who knew? My books and songs for 'mature' readers. Gotta LUV opening my email! I have so much to learn! Special thanks to Jenn at Best Practices 4 Teaching for leading me in the direction of the promised land regarding my work as material for shared reading. 


"I heard these lyrics today and wanted to share them with you. I think you are wonderful." 

The great news beyond all of this admiration and support? All three of my picture-book-songs are now available in instant download format as Mp3's in zipped files over at Teachers Pay Teachers. Never heard any of them? I have a YouTube video of each song in the tab up-top. Come get your freebie.... follow my store and you'll see when I add new projects. 

Pre-K, Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Special thanks to all the teachers out there across this big country of ours who are using my materials and taking the time to send me feedback. We leave later this morning for my second-of-four trips to Texas! Thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU! 


-- Debbie -- 

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...