Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Owls: Whooo for You

photo of: Owls in Kindergarten and Preschool Collage via RainbowsWithinReach

You're just going to adore all of these owls! 
I just know it! 

I'm creating this article to be added to the the linky party over at:
Time to go through my memory card and enjoy all over again!

First up. Kindergarten Owls, just outside of Denver. 

photo of: Torn Paper Owl Projects in Kindergarten via RainbowsWithinReach

The 'old Art teacher' in me just rejoices to see all of this work on the bulletin boards at my grandson's school last month. Each and every creation is absolutely and totally unique. As it should be, of course! 

I'll start off with what I'll call my teacher's pet response. 
TOTALLY OWL! 
LUV LUV LUV the 'fluffy' head feathers up top. 

photo of: Torn Paper Owl Project in Kindergarten via RainbowsWithinReach

This one wins my vote for the biggest eyes. 
Owls = big eyes. 

photo of: Torn Paper Owl Project in Kindergarten via RainbowsWithinReach

I'd like to highlight these next three in their own little frame. 
ADORABLE. Simply ADORABLE. 
Hard to choose a favorite as they are all amazing!

Keep in mind that these are from kindergarten. 
Unique and individual. The goal of children's art. 
Even when there is an end product in mind. 

photo of: Torn Paper Owl Project in Kindergarten via RainbowsWithinReach

I am so appreciative that the teacher(s) let the children create to their heart's content. The materials were presented and each child went to work with their own insight. This is an example of problem solving at its best!

If you look closely below, you will see the magic marker 'outline' of the owl. I was told that the children received their paper with the template already in place for them. So this explains the uniformity in over-all size. 

I'm getting just the slightest 'turkey' vibe for this owl friend. 

photo of: Torn Paper Owl Project in Kindergarten via RainbowsWithinReach

I selected this next project for a 'close-up' because it looks like it could be the star in a cartoon. If you're wanted to start an animated project on owls, I have the diva for you already auditioned and ready to go! Fantastic arrangement of the head feathers. Put this work in the child's portfolio for later exploration for their TV series ready to emerge from the inspiration of this piece. Emmy award winner in the making. 

photo of: Torn Paper Owl Project in Kindergarten via RainbowsWithinReach

There were four kindergarten classrooms in the k-wing. 
Here's what the bulletin board looked like for one class. 
FIVE STARS! 
Two thumbs up!! 
Oh happy day!!!
Unique. Different. Individual.

photo of: Bulletin Board of Kindergarten Open-Ended Art Owl Projects via RainbowsWithinReach

Allow me to digress for a minute. Once upon a time over at our collaborative blog, PreK+K Sharing, I went on a rant about the difference between process and product in children's art. These owls are such a great example of an open ended approach to an 'assignment' with an expected outcome. YEAH classroom teachers! You get it! Your student's work demonstrates that collectively: YOU GET IT!

While everyone is expected to create an owl, everyone is given complete latitude within the confines of the presented material to create their own creature. HURRAY! 

Behold the penguins and the inspiration for my rant.

photo of: Penguins on Parade: Art Teacher's Worst Nightmare (cloned projects) via RainbowsWithinReach

Now you see why I adore the owls SO much! You'll have to click over to the original article, that remains the #2 read article-of-ALL-time, to catch my furvor over the Stepford Wives penguins. A few of the several dozen comments that were left on my rant, thank me for addressing a controversial issue. Little did I realize at the time that some consider this topic to be controversial?!?!?! So now, I've gone and stirred the pot some more. 

Now. Back to owls. Sweet innocent, big eyes. These are from the tiny Texas hands of preschoolers, from my recent visit to Montgomery. Keepsake! Yes. They look amazingly 'the same.' In the context of this project that is completely understandable and reasonable. Enough said. 

photo of: Hand Print Painted Owl Keepsake in Preschool via RainbowsWithinReach

photo of: Hand Print Painted Owl Keepsake in Preschool via RainbowsWithinReach

One last image: 
Owls on the classroom door. 
What I LUV about this picture is the DIY home-made palm tree that graces the entrance. 
The trunk is a painted 'core' of some sort. Maybe from a roll of carpet? 
Gotta appreciate that sort of ingenuity! 

photo of: Classroom Door on Owl Theme w DIY Palm Tree via RainbowsWithinReach

Speaking of PreK+K Sharing, our very own Carolyn created a whole file of OWL freebies for your classroom. Here's the direct link to all of her goodwill. 

photo of: FREEBIE Owl Decor via PreK+K Sharing

Since today is the 14th, she has a brand new FREEBIE of Harvest games, including Bingo. 
Here's the link to today's brilliant resource.

photo showing pages in the free printable game

***All of the photo images are from my Author-Illustrator School Visits. 
I will continue to protect the location of the penguins, as they are enrolled in my witness protection program. 

Let's all aspire to allowing children to explore art materials on their own terms. 
I have an entire collaborative pin-board over at Pinterest with Children's Art on parade. There are over 2500 ideas already pinned. I've asked the contributors to veer to the open-ended and process possibilities. 
Here's the direct link to all of the fun! 

-- Debbie -- 


Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...