Friday, June 3, 2011

Red White and Blue by Quilt



Here's the latest update from the amazing kingdom of Carie's Kindergarten classroom creations.

Their incredible quilt is complete and here's the celebration unfolding as they sing my song, "Red, White and Blue" in front of their amazing masterpiece of all master-pieced marbled marvels!!! The quilt continued to grow and grow as another ten teachers became involved at Carie's invitation. The school's foster-grandma helped with some of the final glueing and what you see is kindergarten enthusiasm amplified forever!!

I LOVE having pen-pals!

Enjoy. I'll share some of their final process-pictures in the next post.

***The other day while with kindergartners IRL (in real life) we came up with a big ending, fitting of the song and it's sentiment. For the thirty second conclusion we pretended that we were human fireworks.

We all got down on our haunches, [down-low, bent knees, hands together in front of our chests] and they watched me carefully for the signal to all blast off as fireworks, fingers 'twinkling' overhead. In the 30 seconds available we were able to launch three great big grand-finale fireworks extravaganzas to conclude the singing as the music wafts off into memory. I'll be teaching this 'ending' at future workshops this summer.

3 comments:

  1. I love the song and signing! And the human fireworks ending is a great idea - thanks for sharing! Deb @ LivingMontessoriNow.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does this kind of thing always make me tear up! What cuties! You are so talented! I'm loving exploring your blog! I look forward to learning from you!! :)

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind comments, new friends. I wrote this song right after 9/11. Now that I have the song in picture book format I have been sharing it w educators at Children's Literature conferences. That's where I met the amazing Carie -- K teacher who served a year in Iraq with the Army. It is her brilliant devotion to the idea of my song that is demonstrated here.

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...